Monday, August 18, 2008

The Notebook

It is obvious the Olympics are dominating the airwaves, so some of the other stations are showing the same things over and over all weekend, as was with ABC Family. They must have shown The Notebook about 10 times between Friday and Sunday. So I watched it. Why do I do that to myself? It is the saddest movie of all time! I was freaking balling my eyes out! I was a sniffling, snotty mess! I started to watch it Saturday night while I was waiting for my bf to get home from work, but was smart enough to turn it off, since we were going to meet up with friends and didn't want to be a red nosed, blurry eyed sniffling idiot in front of them. I actually changed the channel and watched Just Friends with Ryan Reynolds. In that movie he takes the girl he loves (and his mom and best friend) to see The Notebook! And that made me cry! So then I had to change the channel again. This movie is so well acted and the story is well told! I love it, even if it makes me a big ball of snot! Every time I see it, even as I write this post, or when I just saw a snippet of the movie inside another movie, I tear up! Why do we do this to ourselves girls?? Now if you haven't seen this movie, don't read this post...I will spoil it for you. Go rent the movie, grab a HUGE box of Kleenex and then come back after you watched it.

The first time I saw this movie in 2005, my bf, who wasn't yet my boyfriend, brought it over and watched it with me, my best friend Heather and our neighbor, Sarah. All of us girls were sitting on the couch, huddled together, balling our eyes out. I am not really sure what it is about this movie that moves me so much, but I can only guess that it is because we all hope that we are loved that much by someone. I want someone to love me so much that when I can't even remember who they are, but they come read the story of our lives to me just to have even 5 minutes of the person they love come back. I of course asked my bf this through all my tears, and he as the perfect man he is, answered 'of course!'. He also told me as I was sniffling, snorting and do that hyperventilating this girls do when we are really crying, that I was beautiful! I am not sure what is wrong with him, but hell if he thinks that when I am sure to look like a mess, I guess I can't complain.

So I stayed up till 11:30 to watch the final scene where James Garner's character, Noah, sneaks into his wife's room at the nursing home, climbs into bed with her, as she has a moment of clarity and remembers him. She says that she is afraid he will leave her, but he of course reassures her that he will never leave her. She then asks if he thinks they will ever be together again, and if they can leave this world together! OMG!!! So sad! Then they say 'good night' and drift off to sleep holding each other. The next shot you see the nurse coming down the hall, whistling, and she enters the room, sees them laying in the bed, holding hands, and she goes over to touch them. She then realizes they are dead. They left the world together, to be together again. OMG!! So there I am sitting on the couch, curled up, sniffling, hugging a pillow and my bf is just got his arms around me and I can't help but wonder "why don't guys get choked up about this stuff???" I makes me crazy...why don't they have the same reaction. So I asked him "doesn't it make you sad" and he said "yes" That was it, 'yes', no tears, nothing!! BOYS!

So if you want a good cry and a good movie...The Notebook is my pick!


No comments: